Federal Sex Crime Registration

Once you have been convicted of a sex crime, you will have to register with the National Sex Offender Registration and Notification System. You must register with the state that you live in so that the communities can keep track of the sex offenders that live in the area. Once you are registered with the state, they will update the federal registry. Anytime you move or make any changes, you will have to update the registry.

The registry is used to keep people (especially children) safe. There are times when sex offenders can’t live wherever they want. You may be restricted by how close you can live to children. You may not be able to live near a school or public park.

You can be prosecuted if you don’t register and keep it updated for a certain amount of time. There are different tiers that determine how long you have to be registered. Tier I must be registered for fifteen years while tier II must register for twenty-five years. Anyone who is committed as a tier III sex offender will have to register for the rest of their life.

If you don’t, you could be looking at hefty fines and even jail time. You could get up to ten years in jail if you don’t keep your registry up-to-date.

So, what do you need to register? You will need to register your name and any aliases that you may have, as well as your social security number and address. You will have to let them know where you work, including their address. If you are in school, you will need their address too. If you have a vehicle (or use one regularly), it is important to also include your license plate number and a good description.

The state may also get more information for you. They will keep a current photo of you, as well as your description. They may ask you for a DNA sample, as well as fingerprints and palm prints. Most states will keep a copy of your driver’s license or identification card if you don’t have a license.

They have every right to know exactly what you did, as well as your parole status. If this wasn’t your first time, they are able to get your entire criminal history to pass around. If you have any outstanding warrants, they will want to know about it also.

Once the state has your information, they may pass it down locally. Any local authority jurisdictions, schools, public housing agencies, and much more can get your information. It will be placed on any employment background checks that you do.

The state will also put you on the National Sex Offender Registration and Notification System. At that point, you may be required to join a residential Sex Offender Treatment Program or a Sex Offender Management Program at a Federal Medical Center.

You may have trouble traveling and your passport may be revoked so you can’t travel internationally.

Because your life can change drastically if you are convicted of a sex crime, you need an experienced lawyer on your side. He or she will do everything possible to get you convicted of a lesser crime. If not, they will work with you to ensure that you get the least amount of sentencing so that one mistake won’t change your entire life. However, if you do get convicted of a sex crime, you must register. It is not taken lightly and, if you don’t, you are looking at big fines and years behind bars!

Contact us for all of your legal needs. We would be glad to discuss your case with you to figure out how you want to proceed!

Related Posts
  • Minnesota Statutory Rape Laws: Ignorance of Age Is Not a Legal Defense Read More
  • Big Changes Coming to Minnesota Criminal Sexual Conduct Laws Read More
  • St. Paul Sex Crimes Lawyer: How A Pending Sex Charge Impacts Your Life Read More