Practice Areas: Personal Injury; Wrongful Death.
Admitted: 1991, Minnesota
Law School: William Mitchell College of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 1991
College: University of Minnesota, B.A., Political Science, 1988
Biography: Recipient: Ten Outstanding Young Americans, U.S. Jaycees, 1998 and 2000; American Hometown Leadership Award, 1997. Adjunct Faculty, Inver Hills Community College. Legislative Service, House District 39B, 2002-. Committees: Chair, Commerce and Labor; Higher Education and Work Force Development Policy and Finance Division; Labor and Consumer Protection Division; Taxes; Telecommunications Regulation and Infrastructure Division Public Service. Mayor, Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota, 1992-2002. School Board, Inver Grove Heights, 1987-1990. Occupation, Practicing Attorney, 1996.
Notes: Below is a link to Mr. Atkins’ Page on Dakota County Commissioner Website: https://www.co.dakota.mn.us/Government/Board/District4/Pages/default.aspx
- 2016 Lifetime Achievement Award from the American Cancer Society – for fighting for rights of cancer victims and for cancer prevention.
- Passed a law to protect MN senior citizens from phone and internet scammers.
- Award from MN Firefighters for “standing up for firefighters and their families, and for passing the most significant advances in fire safety laws in the past 30 years.
- Led the effort to pass a nation-leading law to remove cancer-causing chemicals from children’s products like SpaghettiO’s and baby food jars.
- MN Firefighters Legislator of the Year Award.
- Speaking to a group of kids.
- Named Member of the Year by the MN Association for Justice for standing up for accident victims against giant insurance companies. My efforts were featured on HBO’s “This Week Tonight” with John Oliver.